[lbo-talk] Neo-Lamarckianism???? Come on!

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 16 22:17:00 PST 2008

Surely the existence of some things poses a question to us -- "as when you find a trout in the milk," said Thoreau (viz., has someone been watering the milk?)

But if we can ask meaningfully about the existence of large parts of the universe (the solar system, say, or the galaxies), does meaninglessness supervene only when we slip up and ask about all of it?

"You still have the question: why does the universe bother to exist? If you like, you can define God to be the answer to that question." --Stephen Hawking (1994), Black Holes and Baby Universes, p. 159.

Regards, CGE