[lbo-talk] Neo-Lamarcianism ? Come on!

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Jan 17 06:40:17 PST 2008

Neo-Lamarckianism???? Come on!

"...science holds that nothing is unknowable in principle..."

Ignoring for the moment who "science" might be (and taking "nothing" as

"no thing"), we still notice that there are contemporary philosophers (e.g. Colin McGinn) and scientists (e.g. Chomsky) who hold that some things may be unknowable in principle.

From W. G. Lycan, "Chomsky on the Mind-Body Problem":

^^^^^ CB: Thanks for the Chomsky reference. In this case, I would just have to say that when Chomsky gives up on a problem by calling it a "mystery", he has exited a scientific approach to it. Just because it seems insoluable to Chomsky (genius that he is) doesn't mean it is insoluable in principle.

I'm sorry that he has given up on the mind-body "problem" ( found in elementary philosophy texts). Maybe if he studies Engels and Lenin and Marxists on it, materialism, he will feel that it's not such a mystery. Levels of organization of reality, emergent levels etc. addresses this. (See Soviet philosophical texts). Consciousness is an emergent level reality once life forms emerge.