[lbo-talk] Reason on Paul's newsletters

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 13:07:16 PST 2008

Thanks for posting this, Andy.

In that Reason article you linked to about Paul's newsletters appears this passage:

"During the period when the most incendiary items appeared [in Ron Paul's newsletters]—roughly 1989 to 1994—Rockwell and the prominent libertarian theorist Murray Rothbard championed an open strategy of exploiting racial and class resentment to build a coalition with populist 'paleoconservatives,' producing a flurry of articles and manifestos whose racially charged talking points and vocabulary mirrored the controversial Paul newsletters recently unearthed by The New Republic."

Man -- Murray fucking Rothbard! Another person I hate. Anarcho-capitalist and all-around douche. Many years back when I was first exploring anarchism and hadn't quite figured out how complicated a witches' brew the ideology can be (by that I mean I hadn't yet discerned there was a nasty American form of anarchism called anarcho-capitalism that was like the Libertarian Party gone zonkers, which was opposed to traditional class struggle anarchism of the Bakunin-Kropotkin-Goldman-Chomsky line, the latter which I continue to think of as "real" anarchism), I bought Rothbard's ludicrously-titled book _Egalitarianism as a Revolt Against Nature_.

As the title suggests, Rothbard believes that social and political egalitarianism is simply *unnatural*, and people struggling for equality might as well be struggling with the law of gravity.

In one essay in his book Rothbard deals with the question: How would parents have authority over their kids in an "anarchist" (anarcho-capitalist) society? His answer: As long as the kids are on the parents' property, they do what the parents say. In fact, for that matter, if the kid finds themselves on another's piece of property, they must also do as that other property-owner says. Kids are basically chattel. And then he says, actually, this isn't just for kids -- if any person isn't on their own property, they must obey the orders of the property owner, or get off, child or adult. The picture I got was a checkerboard of parcels of land with propertyless folks shuffling from one square to the next, every time falling under someone's despotic authority, at their mercy.

Some freedom!

-B.

Andy F wrote:

http://www.reason.com/news/show/124426.html