[lbo-talk] Vampira r.i.p.

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 13:38:04 PST 2008

One of the tragedies of Maila Nurmi/Vampira is that there are no extant recorded copies of her TV show! Truly a huge loss, like the film _London After Midnight_ being forever gone.

Vampira was a huge fascination for early punks -- The Damned had a song, "Plan 9, Channel 7" from 1979 that alluded to her. (The piece Dennis Claxton forwarded notes her show appeared on KABC-TV Channel 7). And the original Misfits (1977 - 1983) wrote a tribute song to her, "Vampira," and also tracked her down in 1981 or so and to have this photo taken with her, she in full makeup:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/ronnietheripper/misfits.jpg

Pretty cool! That's a young Glenn Danzig on the right, still punk, before he became an egomaniacal metal head.

-B.

Dennis Claxton wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-nurmi16jan16,1,315378.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-california>http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-nurmi16jan16,1,315378.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-california