[lbo-talk] the music of politics

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 19:46:10 PST 2008

Yeah, my mistake -- I get the CSNY guys mixed up in my head sometimes. I shouldn't, since the one I referred to looks like a walrus, and not a proto-grunge dude. But anyway, point was, political use of songs -- yeah, Alabama's "Sweet Home Alabama," the single featuring a Confederate flag flying in all its glory in its original packaging, taking Neil Young to task for criticizing southern racism, now used as an official song of some type by the Alabama govt.

Something about it reminds me of that Onion piece: "Song About Heroin Used To Advertise Bank" -- http://www.theonion.com/content/node/38780

-B.

joseph noonan wrote:

"Neil Young, not gun nutter turned Texas jailbird and sperm donor to Milissa Etheridge, David Crosby. 'Southern Man' wasn't even a CSNY song, but was on After the Gold Rush. The lyrics in the Skynyrd song contain: 'I hope Niel Young will remember, / a Southern man don't need him around anyhow' (or something like that)"