[lbo-talk] hmm, and I thought it was talk therapy that was ineffec tive!

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 08:52:48 PST 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 10:48 AM, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Folks develop tolerance to vitamins and antibiotics,
> don't they?

Huh? Like they need to take increasing doses to get the same effect?

> But folks who are dependent on drugs that are illegal
> are bad citizens. Dependency is suddenly a bad thing
> in this instance, in other words. And it's amazing how
> the psychiatric community can adjust its definitions
> to accommodate the legality of certain chemicals,
> politically decided. Dependency on some chemicals is
> bad; other times, it's perfectly fine and "medically
> necessary." But this is all socially determined, isn't
> it? Some folks may very well only become "functioning"
> individuals with the help of this or that chemical.

I think you have to be careful about attributing this dichotomy to the psychiatric or medical community (at least the practitioners) -- they have tended to be more eager than politicians to try things like medical marijuana, LSD therapy or maintenance prescriptions of heroin.

Shit, aren't the cops more open to that than most politicians?

-- Andy