[lbo-talk] let's all pray for a depression

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 18 13:31:49 PST 2008

Mark Rickling wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2008 3:30 PM, MICHAEL YATES <mikedjyates at msn.com> wrote:
>

>> Wishing for depressions won't make these things happen.
>>

> I'm sure you know better than I, but isn't working class militancy in
> US history -- as measured by days lost to strikes or some statistic
> like this -- more positively correlated to declining unemployment
> rates, explanation being that workers are more likely to take risks --
> that is, go on strike -- when the chance of getting another job is
> better?

There was lots of labor unrest between 1945 and 1975 when unemployment was low and job security was high relative to earlier and later periods. I don't think you can make a strong case for immiseration of the working class leading to increased militancy. When you're poor enough that you need to worry about getting enough to eat or keeping a roof over your head you will screw anyone to get those things. It hardly seems like a way to build solidarity. I think that is a discredited idea these days but maybe that's wishful thinking. I use to subscribe to such an idea but I have been convinced it is unsound.

John Thornton