[lbo-talk] A Mac in my future

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sat Jan 19 08:36:10 PST 2008

> I'm currently crunching large databases.

Have you considered making your current PC a server? I have some software that only runs on one machine, so I unplugged the monitor and keyboard and stuck it in another room and get to it over the network when I need to with something like VNC or Remote Desktop. One of the difficulties of Windows is all the trouble you can get into with various packages conflicting with each other and constant upgrades, etc., so your life as a "PC Tech" gets a lot easier if you're not also using it for email and browsing, etc. I have one box that's running something specialized like this, and since it's the only thing running on the box, I reboot it once per week proactively and it never blue-screens, etc.

Of course, I also have my Mac set up like this: a Mini that's downstairs plugged into the TV and available on the net when I feel like only using one mouse button.

/jordan