[lbo-talk] Why am I so annoyed by James Kunstler's The Long Emergency

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jan 20 02:54:12 PST 2008

snip...

The best solution would be to shut down the war machines devoted to grabbing all the oil for one's own country ("last one standing" scenario) and instead devote maximum resouces to building wind farms, solar collectors, geothermal, etc., and the required energy storage systems to complement them, as quickly as possible. (That would be the best "defense".) And also rebuilding all transport systems to use electricity, starting with trains. While we still have relatively cheap energy to enable doing this. The longer we put this project off, the more physically difficult it will be, because you need energy to build renewable energy projects and efficient transport systems.

Kunstler is a tedious conservative reactionary. I greatly prefer the books by Richard Heinberg.

Charles Peterson San Antonio, TX

I like that proletarian pipe dream, Charles. Cheers. Now, if "we" could only control and socially own the means of producton, we could mandate that the they be used in this manner. As it is, we are in the invisible hands of the marketplace, subject to the dictatorship of the capitalist class who own things and make their decisions according to their own interests.

Prodution for use and need, Mike B)

http://www.iww.org.au/node/10 "Would you have freedom from wage-slavery.." Joe Hill http://www.iww.org/en/join

Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now. www.yahoo7.com.au/worldsbestemail