[lbo-talk] thoughts on CPI?

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 11:47:59 PST 2008

Could any economists comment on whether the CPI is bogus? I'm referring to its supposedly underestimating inflation due to substitutions (steak/hamburger), hedonic tweaking, figuring increasing home computer power offsets cost of health care, that kind of thing.

Most of the criticism I've read tends to be associated with goldbuggery, permabearism, and general rantishness, so a level-headed left perspective would be appreciated. I'm aware that this might have been done to death, so I'd be happy with a link to a summary.

Thanks, -- Andy