[lbo-talk] a different view of U.S. mfg

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Jan 21 07:14:01 PST 2008

On Jan 21, 2008, at 9:15 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> [no overcapacity problems here]
>
> "Help Wanted" highlights skills drain in U.S.
> Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:09am EST
> By Joanne Morrison
>
> TRAFFORD, Pennsylvania (Reuters) - Only half the machines are running
> at precision parts maker Hamill Manufacturing, nestled in the
> Allegheny Mountains just east of Pittsburgh, once the booming center
> of the U.S. steel industry.
>
> But the factory's overcapacity is the result not of a shortage of
> business -- it has more orders than it can fill, despite a slowing
> U.S. economy -- but because of a shortage of skilled workers.
>
> "I'd hire 10 machinists right now if I could," said John Dalrymple,
> president of the company, which makes high-end parts for military
> helicopters and nuclear submarines. "That's eight to 10 percent of
> our workforce."...

A dynamic capitalist economy is based on production of the means of production. A capitalist economy in the throes of a long-term stagnation crisis relies on the production of the means of destruction.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...it consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos