[lbo-talk] let's all pray for a depression

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 22 09:14:10 PST 2008

The debate migh proceed more usefully if first we (or "we") recognized that a depression will or will not come quite independently of what any of us wish or pray for. So I would reword the question as, "On the provisionaly hypothesis that a depression is on the way, (a) what effect will that have on political alignments of the near future and (b) how, at the present time, when there is no depression, should left activity be organized to prepare for a depression?" That won't quite do, but it's a gesture towards the kinds of questions we should ask. It is silly I think to argue over wht we should or shouldn't "pray for."

Carrol