[lbo-talk] jottings on the current conjuncture...

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 05:01:32 PST 2008

> That's not fair. He can be really erudite and
> thoughtful too. But he
> is a pompous dude, no doubt about it.

Like many pompous people, he is led to comment on subjects about which he knows nothing and try to pass it off as wisdom. For instance if I recall correctly, in his jottings he states that the new law for party representation in the Russian Duma (by which I assume he means the law that you have to get at least 7% of the vote to have representation, raised from 5% as it was previously) was intended to bar liberals and communists from the Duma. Now the liberals, altogether, got about 3.5% of the vote, and thus are not in the Duma, as they would not have been before the law was changed. The Communists got 12%, and thus are in fact in the Duma and have not been barred from it. Actually I think they have increased their number of seats. So Anderson's position doesn't look very tenable, does it?

One should not comment on those things one does not know the basic facts of.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs