[lbo-talk] Hillary nixes Vogue; fear of looking "too feminine"; Wintour distressed

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 23 05:04:23 PST 2008

[from Mike Allen's Politico Playbook]

Women's Wear Daily reports: 'Clinton was to appear in Vogue as the presidential race reached high gear, but backed out late last fall before a photo shoot was scheduled for fear of appearing too alluring. ... A Vogue spokesman confirmed: 'We were told by Ms. Clinton's camp that they were concerned if Clinton appeared in Vogue that she would appear too feminine.' In her February editor's letter, [Editor in Chief Anna] Wintour takes Clinton to task for being behind the times. 'Imagine my amazement, then, when I learned that Hillary Clinton, our only female president hopeful, had decided to steer clear of our pages at this point in her campaign for fear of looking too feminine. The notion that a contemporary woman must look mannish in order to be taken seriously as a seeker of power is frankly dismaying.' Wintour continues: 'This is America, not Saudi Arabia.