[lbo-talk] Hillary nixes Vogue; fear of looking "too feminine"; Wintour distressed

tully tully2 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 09:27:16 PST 2008

On Wednesday 23 January 2008, shag wrote:
>it was a stupid comment, though. but i think it highlights what
> feminists have sometimes said about the way orientalist
> discourse operates particularly among u.s. feminists: saudi
> arabian women have no sexuality, are desexualized.

I suspect in general that Islamic women see themselves more as deobjectified than desexualized. Though I thought our western feminists of the 60s and 70s saw the value of deobjectification, since then it seems to have all but disappeared, and our women once again wear g-strings and drape themselves over cars for madison avenue's benefit.

Perhaps Hillary remembers the old-timey feminism and doesn't care to cheapen herself by appearing in a women's style magazine.

--tully