[lbo-talk] Hillary nixes Vogue; fear of looking "too feminine"; Wintour distressed

shag at cleandraws.com shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Jan 23 09:58:20 PST 2008

> Can somebody tell me if, according to Saudi-type Sunni
> theology, sex is supposed to be enjoyable for women,
> or if it is supposed to be a burden/sin as in some
> other cultures?
>
> --- shag <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:
>>
>> it was a stupid comment, though. but i think it
>> highlights what feminists
>> have sometimes said about the way orientalist
>> discourse operates
>> particularly among u.s. feminists: saudi arabian
>> women have no sexuality,
>> are desexualized.

Not sure if this is a response to what I said (which is poorly explained tos ay the least) or if you're just using it as a place to ask your question, but just to clarify:

For lack of a better term, third world feminists indebted to the critique of Western Orientalism, have noted that one of the ways women in burqas (or hijabs or whatever is symbolic of the worst form of gender oppression "over ther") are, in the eyes of Western feminists (and the West more generally) seen as desexualized beings, so oppressed and impoverished by the horrors imposed on them by "their men" that sexuality never enters the picture for them, etc. etc. No need to discuss the likelihood that one's libido may not respond cheerfully to a bomb dropped on your head or via sanctions designed to starve you into revolt against your despotic leaders.

and tully? Kiss my strap on 'k? And welcome back, too!