[lbo-talk] Pacifica release on BtN on KPFA

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 23 11:30:54 PST 2008

<http://pacificaradio.wordpress.com/2008/01/23/kpfa-radio-to-air-new- weekend-programs-on-current-affairs-and-economics/>

KPFA RADIO TO AIR NEW WEEKEND PROGRAMS ON CURRENT AFFAIRS AND ECONOMICS 23 January 2008, 2:08 pm Filed under: Pacifica, Programming

Berkeley, CA - January 23, 2008 — This Saturday, January 26th, KPFA Radio will introduce to its airwaves two new programs from the Pacifica Network.

Behind the News is a radical program of economics and politics hosted by Doug Henwood, acclaimed economic journalist and contributing editor to The Nation magazine. Behind the News originates from Pacifica Radio’s WBAI in New York City. Uprising, the weekly digest of the daily program on Pacifica Radio’s KPFK in Los Angeles, is hosted by award-winning broadcaster Sonali Kolhatkar, who is the Co- Director of the Afghan Women’s Mission. Uprising provides news and analysis from a progressive, internationalist perspective and features regular commentaries by journalist Rahul Mahajan and Glen Ford of The Black Agenda Report.

“I’m honored and excited at the opportunity to join KPFA’s programmers in providing progressive journalism to Northern California listeners,” says Kolhatkar.

Behind the News and Uprising will air at on Saturdays at 10am and 11am respectively.

“With the global economy in precarious shape and left perspectives on war, the environment, racism and social injustice missing in the mainstream media, we are very lucky to be able to air these two excellent programs from Pacifica”, says Lemlem Rijio, KPFA’s Interim General Manager.

“I’m excited that KPFA is adding shows from other sister stations in the network,” says Pacifica National Programming Coordinator Nathan Moore. “These two shows are very good programs and I expect Bay Area listeners will enjoy them as listeners in their home signal areas do. In a network where stations are very autonomous, it’s great to see this kind of proactive cooperation in our network and our programming.”

###

Founded in 1949, KPFA is the United States’ first listener-sponsored radio station and the flagship station in the Pacifica Radio Network. Broadcasting on 94.1 FM in Berkeley, CA, and 88.1 FM on KFCF in Fresno, KPFA’s signal reaches one third of the state of California. KPFA’s website, kpfa.org, serves thousands of listeners all over the world. KPFA’s innovative news, arts, public affairs, and music programs have won numerous awards and have helped define radio in America.