[lbo-talk] UC London study: Job-related stress literally can kill you

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 09:25:01 PST 2008

"Projections are that by 2020, depression will be second only to heart disease in its contribution to the global burden of disease as measured by disability-adjusted life years. [...] Projections suggest that by 2020, depression will become the second leading cause of disease worldwide, as measured by disability-adjusted life years (5). Furthermore, depression characteristically complicates the course and outcome of other illnesses among older adults."

http://www.cdc.gov/Pcd/issues/2008/jan/07_0150.htm

"Unipolar major depression" is predicted by the Harvard School of Public Health to be the 2nd leading cause of disability, right below heart disease, and just above injuries caused by various accidents, by the year 2020, as the chart here also shows:

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/977858884.html

It's hard for me to believe folks' sense of financial well-being/security, as well as social alienation, inability to realize their own potential as they squander their hours away on making ends meet, etc., don't contribute greatly to this.

-B.

Chuck wrote:

"Waking up this morning was especially jarring for me, so I brought this up with the sister. What kind of physical damage does the process of waking up to an alarm clock do to a person over the course of their life?"