[lbo-talk] LabourStart: Facebook labor organizer banned from Facebook

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Thu Jan 24 11:36:50 PST 2008

from B.:

>Still, as social networks become more and more
>important, our access to them as trade unionists must
>be protected. These are early days yet -- I know that
>most of you are not yet signed up to Facebook. This
>is good time to see whether we can mobilize the kind
>of support -- the thousands of names -- that will
>force the owners of Facebook to reverse course

Not to be a contrarian jackass, but why? So Facebook doesn't want to have him -- fuck Facebook then, I say. There are other sites out there, you know. I guess the urgency is that the left and labor needs "connectedness." But there are lots of benefits to unconnectedness too, especially when connectedness leads to pointless protests of corporate power like these.

Sometimes the left needs to quite whining about exclusion and see the goodness in inverting Groucho Marx instead. "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that wouldn't have me as a member."