[lbo-talk] bougie up! ghetto down!

shag at cleandraws.com shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Jan 25 07:49:54 PST 2008

*nod*nod*nod* yes. yes. yes. *head falls off*

I wasn't very clear, what I was wondering was when the term bourgeois came into use and, apparently, in such a way that it is completely taken for granted since no explanation for what it is or why it might be controversial is provided.

As I mentioned the other day re: dipping my toe into the steam of argument contained in the book, The Myth of The French Bourgeoisie, the author's contention is that then, as now, the term bourgeoisie wasn't something anyone really wanted to pin on themselves. It is much like the word YUP today. No one wants to be called one and if they do assign themselves the label, it's tongue-in-cheek, sarcastic, or ironic self-observation.

Bourgeois was a floating signifier, a way to allow everyone to position themselves as just right because not bourgeoisie. Same as YUP.

But this distancing from that identity, bourgeois (or YUP), is not the case here. They happily embrace it as if there's no controversy. it doesn't seemed to be used as irony, either. But maybe I'm wrong. Take the Jack and Jill Politics blog which says that its "a black bourgeois perspective on politics".

So, yeah, as a general phenom, it's very old -- and isn't confined to any identity group. Poor and working whites in the u.s. use the term white trash to distinguish themselves as good and proper "hicks".

I guess what I'm interested in is specific analysis of the way 'ghetto' is operating here. It is not unlike the black women's club movement, which tried to curtail expressions of sexuality and flamboyant dress among black men and women. Their style was "embarrassing" and bringing them down in the eyes of whites: hence mobilization of a policing discourse.

I see the same thing today, but today it's not considered terribly controversial. We can look back and then and see how black women's sexuality was constructed among blacks aspiring to respectability, how it worked with the virgin/whore dichotomy and bolstered it. We can all nod and say, "Oh y eah, that was bad."

and this is of a piece with my criticisms of Ariel Levy: so many people nodded and said, "oh yes she is so right. that trashiness. that sluttiness. that female chauvinist pig is so bad." but what I saw operating there was the same dynamic as the bourgeois black consciousness pushing down "ghetto" as trashy.

This book I'm reading just so happens to touch on the same dynamic, though she's largely confining herself to hetero/sexism among black feminists, as well as hetero/sexism and punitive norms of propriety among black nationalists. It's _Dark continent of Our Bodies_ by E. Frances White.

I told R last night that it seems to be the inevitable result of people both moving "up" but also a way of explaining to themselves why they aren't: the ghetto blacks are dragging us down. if we could just get them to knock it off, things would be alright.