[lbo-talk] Hipsters Evicted

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 18:47:06 PST 2008

Get a load of the poor, persecuted artists:

http://brklynstories.blogspot.com/2008/01/matzo-gate-at-475-kent.html

First they undertake some of the most aggressive gentrification in history (and the speed and efficiency of the hipster takeover of Williamsburg deserves a dissertation), then they piss and moan when things come to their only natural conclusion - while simultaneously bragging about their own role in furthering the process.

If that's not enough for you, check out this one:

"And it's not like we're living here as a slum. People are paying a ton of money; there are lawyers who live here, doctors, producers and some of the most famous photographers in the world. It's a pretty substantial group of people paying a lot of money to live here. I was paying close to $2,000 a month for a 900 square feet space. My place was set up with kitchen, stove, track lighting and all that stuff. There are people who spent tens of thousands of dollars on their space."

http://gothamist.com/2008/01/21/kent.php

All this in the neighborhood where Betty Smith set her classic novel about childhood in an impoverished community, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.