[lbo-talk] Ace Cockburn, persecuted intellectual hero

Simon Ward sedward at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 26 09:58:51 PST 2008

"When Alexander Cockburn ... "

[snipped]

Seems to me this is a run of the mill piece against global warming as a man-made phenomenon; the argument isn't about the science but about the peripherals. If people who do believe in global warming (as a man-made phenomenon) behave in a certain way, then that's proof that what they believe is false. The corrolary is that if you too believe in the notion, you too will behave in this way then you'll become a bad person. Though I'm not interested by such things, this is a logical fallacy.

Notice also the subdued attack on the left who are so deprived of causes that they are obliged to tag along with the environmentalists. Or the notion that global warming alarmism panders to capitalist interests in the shape of the nuclear industry - forgetting of course that it leaves the oil industry behind.

Cockburn is the Ann Coulter of the environmental debate. One day he'll look down and notice he's waering no clothes.

Simon Ward