[lbo-talk] Hipsters Evicted

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 14:10:25 PST 2008

I organize tenants for affordable, rent-controlled housing professionally.

I am also a relative newcomer to the city, living in a low-rent community I can afford.

I have attempted to integrate myself into the neighborhood responsibly, supporting existing organizations and participating in established struggles for the good jobs and affordable housing that will preserve the existing community.

I am sure I could have done more, and better.

But I have not seen one flicker of interest in such concerns among the growing artists' colonies (and yes, they do think very explicitly in those terms) in ill-fated neighborhoods like Williamsburg, Bushwick, and now Ridgewood.