[lbo-talk] First black presdinet (tm)?

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Jan 28 18:15:34 PST 2008

At 08:54 PM 1/28/2008, Michael Smith wrote:

> > > *why* did people say [Clinton] was the first black
> > > presdinet(tm)?
>
>"People" didn't say it. That awful prating
>self-conceited bore Toni Morrison said it.
>
>Now, of course, she's a Barack-nik.

heh. guy at work says it was coz of everything clinton did for black people. which made me want to poke forks in my eyeballs. morrison said it shortly after he was elected? I found this for fuller context:

"Remember back in the last century, when <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toni_Morrison>Toni Morrison playfully dubbed Bill Clinton our first "Black President," adding that Clinton "displays almost every trope of blackness: single-parent household, born poor, working-class, saxophone-playing, McDonald's-and-junk-food-loving boy from Arkansas?"

When my new acquaintance said that, about being the first black presdinet, I laughed and said, "Why because he played the sax and ate ribs?"

He grinned and said it was because he was from a single-parent household which he said was "unfortunately" what most black families were like.

ooooooo. chimp's on the tube. later.