[lbo-talk] First black presdinet (tm)?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 29 04:27:48 PST 2008

That seems to be a case. A relative of mine -- an Ohio Democrat and professor at Wooster -- wrote about Harding's blackness (by American definitions -- see W. B. Michaels' discussion), just before the 1920 election, intending to out him. For his pains he was fired from the college, his pamphlets were seized by federal authorities and destroyed. (In toto five copies apparently still exist).

From Wikipedia: "William Estabrook Chancellor (September 25, 1867 – February 4, 1963) was an American academic and writer. Chancellor was born in Dayton, Ohio. After graduating from Amherst College, he went into teaching, and also wrote prolifically, publishing around 40 books and hundreds of articles. He married into the family of Harriet Beecher Stowe. He was a Democrat...

"After Harding was elected, Chancellor published his biography of Harding; however, federal agents acted immediately to suppress the distribution of the book. Henceforth, Chancellor was monitored by federal agents. Unable to research or find a teaching position, Chancellor moved to Canada.

"According to John Dean, author of Warren G. Harding, Chancellor's theories were partly based upon a rumor spread by Amos Kling, the father of Harding's wife, Florence. Dean, who lived in Marion as a teenager claims that the rumor was spread as retribution for positions taken by Harding in the newspaper that he published, The Marion Star..."