[lbo-talk] Volga roadtrip

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue Jan 29 13:28:51 PST 2008

> I've never been to Nizhny, but if it's a typical
> industrial suburb, "sprightly" and "colorful" are not
> the words to describe it. "Grim" is probably too much.
> But the writer is using loose, colorful
> travel-journalism language. Haven't you ever noticed
> that whenever a British journalist describes a foreign
> country, it's always "grim"?
>
> ^^^^^^^^
> Some seem to describe Britain as "grim".

British journalists are not the first to see better abroad than at home.

After you peek around the facade, what city inside capitalism (i.e., anyplace) isn't grim;?

Carrol

^^^^^ CB: Yes, I see that what I wrote had that ambiguity. I didn't really mean some British journalists see Britain as grim, but that some non-Britishers describe Britain as ...you know "foggy London town", stiff upper lip.

I agree that there's a lot of grimness around, but then in Black Bottom some places with grim facades have a lot of fun and frolick once you get behind the grim facade.