[lbo-talk] Maya Angelou writes poem praising Hillary -- here it is:

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Jan 30 15:38:42 PST 2008

At 01:17 PM 1/30/2008, B. wrote:
>[Dunno if this was posted here. It's from 1-20-08. The
>Guardian does note, though: "In recent years she
>[Angelou] has controversially even written lines to be
>printed inside greetings cards. 'Life is a glorious
>banquet, a limitless and delicious buffet,' reads one
>of her Hallmark epigrams." -B.]

these are HYOOOOOGE here because of the demographics. I found 'em at the Hallmark store, cheaper than cards at Malwart.

I don't see why her need to make a living is some kind of indictment. We live in a dirty world, man.

Speaking of which, my latest library spree netted me an interesting book from the Black History Month display. I wanted to snatch up a bunch but I already had 15, which sometimes elicits dirty looks from the librarians here (unusual response) and I didn't want to hog what would likely be the more popular books. I saw one, though, that has been interesting, albeit... how to describe?... a weird experience. Anyway, it's Lawrence Otis Graham's _Our Kind of People: Inside America's Black Upper Class_.

I was clued to something I didn't know. If you remember, I mentioned the Jack and Jill politics blog? Politics from a black bourgeois perspective was the tagline. Well, I don't know about the rest of you white folks here, but Jack and Jill? Huh? I didn't understand what it symbolized -- save maybe their names were Jack and Jill. heh.

Turns out that Jack and Jill is a invite only social club for children of the black elite in the U.S. The idea, according to the author, was to instill a sense of blackness and pride in black heritage among children who are living mostly in white, well-to-do neighborhoods. He goes into the paperbag and ruler tests, and the way this social group, like others, are places for mentoring young people in the social graces, in deciding on and pursuing a career, and probably the most important, meeting other blacks of the same social class who are worthy of introducing your children to -- as marriage prospects.

Yadda. Will write more. I've been scattered about my reading lately as we're (or we *were*) looking for another place to live. Fortunately, our landlord is happy for us to stay another six months while we scope out the real estate market and take our time.