[lbo-talk] Urban wealth/ethnic stratification

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Jan 30 17:18:32 PST 2008

At 05:54 PM 1/30/2008, tully wrote:

>Anyone know of any cities where the elite are in the south or
>east and the working class are in the north or west? Some
>cities must be arranged that way.
>
>--tully

it's always been my experience that there is almost always a poor, middling, well-to-do section in every direction. What always surprised me, a small town kid, was when I did live in or visit an urban area, you'd have a poor neighborhood bordering a wealthy one. what also always amazed me was how city natives ended up being parochial. I'd be wanting to cruise to the other side of town to go out for dinner or dancing or what have you. The natives always seemed to want to stick to where they lived. *shrug* To me, that just defied why you would live in a city in the first place. I can get that kind of stay-at-home in the same neighborhood in any small town. It's a city damn it, check out another section of town every once in a while! wheeeeee. whenever i've lived in a new place, I always check out the stores for grocery shopping -- all over -- just for the fun of it, to get to know the different enclaves, etc. etc.

Speaking of, I'm dabbling around reading KAtherine Newman's and Victor Tan Chen's _The Missing Class: Portraits of the Near Poor in America_ wherein -- gasp -- we witness lefty academics praise gentrication and increased cop presence in cities. no lie! woj will probably fall over in a faint.