[lbo-talk] Linebaugh (Was Re: decoupling)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 11:03:48 PST 2008

Jesse

Thanks for your interest in my ancient piece on exterminism. This was written for a CND or END publication in Europe in the early 80s and I no longer have it. My basic line was that the arms race was not driven so much by its internal bureaucratic logic of mutual machismo and bureaucratic empire-building (as EPT's exterminism thesis maintained) but by a quasi-rational attempt on the part of the US to make nuclear weapons, or the threat of nuclear weapons, credibly usable, so that the US could integrate them effectively into its military support for economic world dominance. The Soviet part of the arms race I attributed to Hobbesean fears of being dominated or attacked. EPT didn't like being disagreed with at all, he was bored with what took to be dogmatic Marxists such as he saw me to be, and he didn't like the fact that I made the explanation for the arms race asymmetrical in a way that seemed to shift the "blame" to the Americans rather than putting it equally on both. I was right, though.

Thanks for the name of the the Linebaugh book. David Brion Davis's review was certainly explicitly right wing or anyway overtly anticommunist in a startlingly old fashioned way, but my recollection was that he many telling, and if valid fatal, objections to the book, including that Linebaugh didn't address the supposedly well-known mostly fictional status of a well-known slave narrative that is central to the book. This isn't my area, and I liked the idea of the book, but the review worried me a lot.

Btw, I'm not saying you're doing this, but I never assess a scholarly thesis merely because of its politics or those of its author. Davis is a great scholar. So, for that matter, is Donald Kagan (on ancient Greece), a leading neocon. I am a big fan of Hayek and Richard Posner, etc.