[lbo-talk] layoffs = death

shag at cleandraws.com shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Jan 31 12:39:47 PST 2008

I can't really think of anyone here who's expressed this view, but an old prof of mine, who I loved dearly, once told me to stop campaigning for Jesse Jackson. He was disgusted with people for having voted for Reagan and seeming perfectly willing to vote for him again.

Why?

Because, he said, the US that had voted for Reagan ought to really experience the full force of his policies. They ought to be made to deal with exactly the toll it would take on them.

"Flush the economy down the toilet" were his words. I remember the bitterness in his voice to this day.

then, he said, people would finally get a clue and maybe something would change. Until then, I was wasting my time campaigning for Jackson, doing voter registration drives, etc.

I think Frank, who had written some marxist influenced work along the lines of E.P Thompson, had written for Telos back in the day, yadda, would eventually -- move rightward in his thinking -- compared to the heady days of his late 60s/early 70s youth. He was born and raised in Boston -- that part of Boston in the film Good Will Hunting. Irish immigrant family, drunks, factory workers. Smart kid made good as a college professor.

In any event, it's that kind of thinking and talk, which truly disturbed me at the time. It would any young person who was struggling, had been layed off three times before she was 19, who lived in her car, who can remember that the local newspaper advertised no jobs at all and gave away ads for people to barter services, it was that stinking bad.

I didn't think it was amusing that, although struggling, the wasband and I were getting back on our feet, the economy doing slightly better. Only to have a dear and much respected friend suggest that I ought to be plunged right back into the economic muck from which we were finally raising our heads.

Fuck marxists and leftists, I thought to myself. Fuck them in the ear.

There are people reading this list who never write in. Maybe people like me, listening in, and thinking: fuck marxists right in the ear. I'm outta this joint. Audi5000