[lbo-talk] sprinting rightwards

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue Jul 1 14:22:22 PDT 2008

sawicky

So the best option IMO (but check back with me next week) is to build a supportive but content-rich critical voice that seeks to bring strange ideas into the mainstream.

^^^ CB: Yes, and continue to organize for the expression of progressive positions on issues, so that lots of people can lobby the President ( if Barry wins) and Congress. Obama keeps saying change comes from the bottom up, not top down. Maybe he's serious ( I know all the Cassandras here who know the future for sure are not being listened to, but how do they really know for sure that Obama is going to do the wrong thing ? I really wonder how they know with such certainty.) Maybe if lots of regular people start lobbying, he'll say change is coming from below. In every speech I hear him make, he emphasizes that "you" , the crowd, have to make the changes.

If you were organizing for universal health care for the last few years, double your efforts, with emphasis on getting numbers of people to support your position. Start circulating petitions for universal health care, and then present them to Obama, if he becomes President. And start planning now to go to Washington and present the petitions. Or start planning a March on Washington for health care, for peace , for an urban agenda, jobs, peace , equality, freedom. Yea, that's what's needed, is marches on Washington , change from below. It won't be an "activistism" error. Don't worry. Like Julio says, electoral and non-electoral politics are not mutually exclusive.