[lbo-talk] the Iraq shuffle

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jul 3 08:13:47 PDT 2008

[from Mike Allen]

[Obama's] Chief strategist David Axelrod, to John Roberts, filling in as anchor of CNN's 'The Situation Room: 'He's always said that he would listen to the advice of commanders on the ground -- that that would factor into his thinking. He's also always said that we had to be as careful getting out of Iraq as we were careless getting in. So he's been very consistent on this point. ...He will take the advice, not just the advice of the commanders on the ground, but his general assessment of conditions on the ground in calibrating that withdrawal. He said he thought we could get one to two brigades out a month. But he's not wedded to that in the face of events, and no president would be. And he's always said that he's never said that this withdrawal would be without any possibility of alteration based on events on the ground. That would not be a prudent thing to do for any president.'