[lbo-talk] Power (Waiting for Foucault)

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Jul 3 10:57:25 PDT 2008

>>> Dennis Claxton

Are you talking about this passage? "Instinctive violence" here does not refer to individuals but to knowledge as a social process. So I think Miles is right about strange reading.

^^^^ CB: That would be a misuse of the word "instinct". Only individuals have instincts. Instinctive violence wouldn't come out of knowledge as a _social_ process. Instinctive violence would be biological.

Foucault could be using "instinct" in the opposite sense of its basic definition. I don't know. That is, we might have a strange _writing_ by Foucault, as is much discussed on this list.

In the "Waiting for Foucault" aphorism, Sahlins started with a caveat on F's strange writing:

" A man of a thousand masks" one of his biographers said of Michel Foucault, so how seriously can we take the guise he assumed to say that power arises in struggle , in war, and such a war as is of every man against every man.