[lbo-talk] Power (Waiting for Foucault)

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Jul 3 12:36:30 PDT 2008

>>> Dennis Claxton :

>CB: That would be a misuse of the word "instinct". Only individuals
>have instincts. Instinctive violence wouldn't come out of knowledge as
>_social_ process. Instinctive violence would be biological.

So you're conceding that claiming Foucault said individuals have an instinct to violence is a misreading?

^^^^ CB: I think F. , in the passages Ted sent a while ago, referred to an instinct for violence. Since, instincts are in individuals, that would be the equivalent of Foucault saying human individuals have an instinct for violence.

Also, logically that would be a basis for reducing social relations to an instinct for power seeking, giving rise to a war of all against all, Sahlins' reading of F.