[lbo-talk] The 20th Anniversary of Iran Air Flight 655

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Jul 3 21:45:36 PDT 2008

[An interesting commemorative post by Jonathan Schwartz of Tiny Revolution]

http://www.tinyrevolution.com/mt/archives/002409.html

July 03, 2008

Iran Air Flight 655 Shot Down By America 20 Years Ago Today

Iran Air Flight 655 was shot down over the Straight of Hormuz by the

USS Vincennes 20 years ago today on July 3, 1988, killing all 290

people aboard, including 66 children.

When asked about the incident soon afterward, then-Vice President

George H.W. Bush stated, "I'll never apologize for the United States of

America. Ever. I don't care what the facts are."

While the US officially blames Libya for the subsequent bombing of Pan

Am 103 in December, 1988, the preponderance of evidence suggests it was

carried out by Iran in revenge for Flight 655:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v29/n12/mile01_.html

<end excerpt>

Michael