[lbo-talk] Power (Waiting for Foucault)

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Fri Jul 4 01:12:04 PDT 2008

>>> <lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org> 07/03/08 11:35 PM >>>
From: Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Power (Waiting for Foucault)

At 01:24 PM 7/3/2008, Charles Brown wrote:

>It does seem like he leads a lot of social theory astray;

Now we might be getting down to brass tacks. What do you mean by astray?

>>and maybe that he's having fun messing with people's minds.

So people who think he has something to offer don't know the error of their ways and need to led back to..... where?

The really awful point about all this stuff is revealed here with complete clarity. It is not so much whether Foucault was right or wrong about this or that, the point is rather than whenever he is at issue you get really crap debates. Have we reached the nadir? It can't get worse than this can it? (Oh yes it can!) Perhaps a little suggestion then: Why don't we get back to the real brass tacks? What do these texts have to offer us politically? I asked this earlier in connection with Butler, what the politics was that she appeared to be advocating (and I repeated my question, to no avail). But we can do the same with Foucault too. My guess is that if no-one rose to the challenge of doing that with Butler they won't do it with Foucault either. Tahir -------------- next part -------------- All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/public/portal_services/disclaimer.htm