[lbo-talk] Americans respond to $4 gas: drill drill

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 04:04:48 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 3:54 AM, Tahir Wood <twood at uwc.ac.za> wrote:

> Yes this is its main function, isn't it?. In fact fascist states do
> tend to spend a bit on social services. Here in South Africa, social
> services, especially for whites, were actually quite big under
> apartheid. But coming back to the US, I presume you are looking for a
> descriptive term, rather than a theoretical one (with a capital 'T').
> Well then, what about 'police state'? I have only ever visited the US
> once in my life, but I never heard so many sirens before as I did
> there.

As somebody here has pointed out, nobody is going to get arrested for participating in this list.

I was thinking about this during that pre-rum bike ride the other weekend, looking at people walking to the beach, cars passing relaxedly. Is this what the highest incarceration rate in the world looks like? A military-worshipping culture outspending the rest of the human universe in weaponry? I find it hard to grasp for comparables.

-- Andy