[lbo-talk] Billy Graham on the death of Jesse Helms

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 5 13:16:21 PDT 2008

Billy Graham on the death of Jesse Helms

Sam Hodges The Dallas Morning News - Religion Blog Jul 05, 2008

>From the evangelist:

"Jesse Helms, my friend and long-time senator from my home state of North Carolina, was a man of consistent conviction to conservative ideals and courage to faithfully serve God and country based on principle, not popularity or politics.

In the tradition of Presidents Jefferson, Adams and Monroe -- who also passed on July 4th -- it is fitting that such a patriot who fought for free markets and free people would die on Independence Day. As we celebrate the birth of our nation, I thank God for the blessings we enjoy, which Senator Helms worked so hard to preserve.

Over three decades in the United States Congress, Senator Helms was a loyal and effective leader on behalf of our State, with whom I connected during times of national crisis. He was the first person to call me when President Reagan was shot, even before it was reported as news.

Senator Helm's wife, Dot; their three children; and seven grandchildren are in my thoughts and prayers as they honor his legendary life and extraordinary legacy."

http://religionblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/07/billy-graham-on-the-deat h-of-j.html