[lbo-talk] California neglected to save for a fiery day

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sat Jul 5 14:53:53 PDT 2008

The first big fires began about 5 miles from my house, are we live on the other side of town and the fires shot up the canyon. That was about June 13, two days before we left for our meetings in Mexico City and Toronto. When we returned the smoke was still very thick, even though most of the more than 300 fires in our county were extinguished. We still have 12 left, but the smoke in the canyon moves from county to county. The fire season has not even begun yet, but with rains short, lightning ignited fires throughout the state. All this is happening with a budget deficit as seems to be about $7 billion, and the Republican Party with the power to block any potential tax increases.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu michaelperelman.wordpress.com