[lbo-talk] Iraq withdrawal (Was: BO's response to the outcry over his FISA )

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sun Jul 6 06:03:42 PDT 2008

====================================== The Afghan war is more likely to influence US policy in Iraq than the intentions of the candidates, which remain opaque in each case. If the insurgency in Iraq continues to ebb, McCain as President would also have to respond to growing pressure from the US military and its NATO allies to move forces to Afghanistan, where the resistance is growing. Obama has been in favour of bolstering the Afghan front for some time, including hot pursuit of the Taliban into their Pashtun sanctuaries in northwest Pakistan. His proposal to strengthen the US garrison in Afghanistan and to encroach on Pakistan's sovereignty was designed to rebut accusations by Clinton and McCain that he was another inexperienced liberal wuss whose Iraq policy signalled a lack of imperialist resolve. His proprosal was then largely seen as a diversion and scorned, but now he owes thanks to the Taliban, whose resurgence will allow him to more credibly frame a US withdrawal from Iraq in the language of realpolitik in his upcoming debates with McCain.