[lbo-talk] Power (Waiting for Foucault)

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Jul 6 06:35:45 PDT 2008

On Fri Jul 4, Charles Brown wrote (joking):

> But do not worry, Jesus died for your sins, and no Commie Atheist can do
> harm to thee, as long as you deny the existence of all vulgar and
> earthly nature, the filthy world of beasts, the Devil's playground, and
> uphold the super-natural in thee above your sinful natural desires and
> inclinations. This world is all a dream, not real.

Which gives me an occasion to append one of my favorite quotes:

<quote>

What in this world is not evanescent? What in this world is real and not seeming? Love, which seems the realest thing, is really nothing at all; a simple grey rock is a thousand times more tangible than love is; and the earth is such a rock, and love only a breeze that dreams over its surface, weightless and traceless; and yet love's more mineral, more dense, more veined with gold and corrupted with lead, more bitter and more weighty than the earth's profoundest matter. Love is a sea of desire stretched between shores -- only the shores are real, but how much more compelling is the sea. Love is the world's infinite mutability; lies, hatred, murder even are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood. A dream which makes the world seem . . . an illusion.

<unquote>

>From _The Illusion_ by Tony Kushner, freely adapted from Pierre
Corneille's _L'Illusion Comique_

-- Michael