[lbo-talk] Growing moderatism in academia

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Jul 6 07:44:03 PDT 2008

At 10:06 AM 7/6/2008, Doug Henwood wrote:

>Hmm, I always thought professor baiting assumed that the workers
>whose occupations you list in some sort of Whitmanic form are the
>real repositories of wisdom, and the profs are just a bunch of
>ludicrous snobs detached from real life. Like in the Charlie Daniels
>song.

not if they're rural workers. then, they're inbreds who can't be bothered to read and make art.

seriously, tho, i think carrol is spot on. there is an expectation that intellectuals are better than, superior to, ordinary people. (it's kinda like being disappointed with obama and not expecting the turnabout. you had some weird belief that he was different, an exception. or, just being surprised at democrat behavior. you retain some belief that normally they are close to saintliness and its only an exception when they aren't.)

andie's recitation of research is quite beside the point. carrol's not concerned about professors losing status because of the baiting. carrol's pointing out that the master baiters haven't escaped reverence for academics, but illustrate it. (and I'd point out that, IIRC, _Hidden Injuries of Class_ shows something similar as part of the process of anti-intellectualism among the blue collar working class.)