[lbo-talk] Growing moderatism in academia

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jul 6 09:02:45 PDT 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2008, at 10:44 AM, shag wrote:
>
> > seriously, tho, i think carrol is spot on. there is an expectation
> > that intellectuals are better than, superior to, ordinary people.
>
> Who holds such an expectations? Professor-bashing is a pastime of bar
> louts, Bill O'Reilly, and the occasional union organizer. Professors
> = intellectuals = out of touch lazy elitists. In the immortal words
> of Charlie Daniels:

I had in mind _only_ subscribers to and posters on lbo-talk, pen-l and marxism lists. Academic-baiting on those lists is as old as the lists and has been more or less continuous. These lists may or may not be representative of left intellectuals in general. (I am only interested in prof-baiting among leftist intellectuals. Anti-intellectualism among other sectors of the population raises other problems.) Here I am defining "intellectual" as anyone who posts on any of the three lists, whether they want to call themselves intellectuals or not they are by default.)

Carrol