[lbo-talk] BO's response to the outcry over his FISA vote (fwd)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 6 10:23:41 PDT 2008

Of course Obama is ruthless. He's a lifelong Illinois pol, a breed that makes Machiavelli's Prince look like a softhearted sweetie pie and Hannibal Lecter like a friendly pussycat. Moreover, he's a _successful_ Illinois pol, never been indicted, maybe not even a crook, and he has climbed far very fast. Actually I am not sure that being ruthless is a vice in a pol, although it may not be very nice to experience close up -- as long it is used ultimately in a Good Cause. That was Machiavelli's point, really. Lyndon Johnson was ruthless, oh boy was he ruthless, and expect for one little war (a great big "except") he would have been a great president.