[lbo-talk] indulgent

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 6 17:20:24 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:
> I think there's one nuance people seem to have left out, which might be the
> most important one if someone has called you intense, namely as a term
> non-intellectuals apply to intellectuals. It's used by the kind of people
> who think "judgmental" is a bad thing; people who don't want to rock the
> boat, and think we should all get along by bracketing every zone of
> contention; people who avoid going into intellectual detail out of
> disinterest and politics out of politeness -- people like that might say
> "you're intense" as an attempt to explain why you scare people without being
> insulting and suggesting how you might soften it.

I've seen something similar among mental workers. (Skilled software programmers.) There's this one "intense" guy who loves to hold forth about everything that interests him, including politics. So, one day, he pointed out that corporations are just out for themselves. Everyone laughed, until the manager said half-jokingly, "Not every corporation."

Then the other programmers laughed nervously and turned to their computers. The talkative programmer went on, but there was suddenly no one to listen, and soon he too turned to his computer.

When the manager isn't around, they're much more free to discuss worldly matters. For example, the last time the manager was absent, they engaged in heavy critique of intellectual property and corporations.

However, one of them avoided political disagreements like the plague. Some random hypotheses are:

* He's a good-natured guy who was punished for thinking very, very

differently. So he keeps his thoughts to himself and tries to be

happy.

* Leftists are often like some depressing doctor who gets a kick

out of telling you how terminal your cancer is, but isn't so

interested in sketching a real cure. The most rational solution

is to start ignoring him.

* Those of us who are very talkative -- I'm included -- are

frequently aggressive and bad at listening.

Tayssir