[lbo-talk] Growing moderatism in academia

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jul 6 18:57:37 PDT 2008

Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:

> (For instance, you'd expect that the businesses surrounding/within
> universities would be labs in advanced economic systems.

Why? That would be subverting their purpose for existing, which is to generate apologetics for capitalism. And they do this very well. You are utterly confusing the question of "intellectuals" with the question of Which Side are You On? There are intellectuals, very intelligent and competent one, on both sides.

And
> systematic worker mistreatment would cause crack squads of
> psychologists and sociologists to parachute into the situation to
> figure out what went wrong. Well, suffice it to say...)

Nonsense. That would be subverting their purpose for existing. Their function is to rationalize "worker mistreatment."

You are showing the typical core form of elitism: the identification of Truth and Goodness with Intellect.

You are also utterly ignoring the role of ideology in any society.

> So I'm not saying that using your head is bad,

You should use your head a bit more carefully. Intellect or "using one's head" is in theory and practice distinct from choosing sides. How well someone "uses his/her head" has to be measured in terms of the purposes for which she uses it -- and the choice of purposes is grounded in other factors than EITHE intelligence or the lack of it.

It seems as though there is an irresistible tendency to define intelligence in moral terms.

Carrol

nor that anyone should