[lbo-talk] WSJ likes Obama's Iraq turn

sawicky at verizon.net sawicky at verizon.net
Mon Jul 7 14:13:46 PDT 2008

There's a double edge to all of this, or maybe three-dimensional chess.

The R's are trying to put a flip-flop jacket on BHO, in hopes of replicating

the Kerry "I voted for it/against it" theme.  Their other related line is,

who is this guy, nobody knows.  One potential benefit is discord among

anti-war constituencies.  So one has to discount this line from sources

like the WSJ.

Of course, there was always the danger that BHO would shrink from his

commitment, such as it was/is, to withdraw and end the war.  Or if you

like, a danger that he never had such a commitment in the first place.

So you get loyal Obamanians attacking the flip-flop line coming from the R's,

and some of the same talk coming from those who would criticize BHO for slippage

towards the center.  Fun, eh?

My view is you have to criticize objectives and malignant, basic principles, both

of which lead to bad policies.  For instance, if you concede Iran can't go nuclear,

you got trouble.  Or that Iraq has to be "stable" before the U.S. can get out.

Etc.