[lbo-talk] video: Ambassador Pickering makes the case for talks with Iran on enrichment

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Mon Jul 7 18:37:10 PDT 2008

On Jul 7, 2008, at 4:02 PM, Chris Doss wrote:

> I've always suspected that there is a lot of backroom diplomacy/
> contacts between Washington and Teheran that people don't know about
> and are concealed under layers of public rhetoric. Sort of like when
> Reagan told the Soviets in 1984 that he was going to badmouth them
> in the presidential election but don't worry, it doesn't really mean
> anything.

The whole thing is about controlling energy. Is that, at least, self- evident ?

Nuclear is an obvious comer for short term alteration in energy mix.

Which would you rather have control of - a nuke, or the ability to control your own energy. Iran wants to enrich uranium and compete in the growing global market for nuclear fuel. I suspect that if they wanted a weapon they could figure out something better to do with uranium than blow it up. Being able to influence the global market for nuclear fuel is a weapon, I guess.

martin