[lbo-talk] Heidegger

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 09:42:33 PDT 2008

Pound indeed was doing radio bradcasts for the Fascists.

Heidegger got a university promo after (actually I think before? I mean, he was rector) the Rechtoratsrede. Then again, he wound up getting watched by the Gestapo later on, Nazis, like the Stalin people, not being fond of independent intellectuals even if they were fellow travellers.

Did Heidegger feel some "need to belong"? (I really don't like those kind of questions, since we can't read the minds of the dead, but anyway...) He certainly engaged in very careerist and opportunist behavior and probably initially did want to be the Aristotle to Hitler's Alexander. However, if he had toed the Party line like Baeumler he could probably have moved way up higher than he did, without the Gestapo-watching thing, but he was unwilling to do so. So yes and no.