[lbo-talk] scarred for life

Percival Myers permaceaem at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 23:41:39 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 5:40 PM, shag wrote:

> these poor kids'll be scarred for life!
>
>> http://www.salon.com/books/review/2008/07/08/sex_in_crisis/index1.html
>>
>> Consider this classroom exercise: "Boys and girls are invited to chew
>> cheese-flavored snacks and then sip some water, after which they are to spit
>> the resulting 'bodily fluids' into a cup. After a game in which the fluids
>> are combined with those of other students, ultimately all cups are poured
>> into a pitcher labeled 'multiple partners' sitting adjacent to a pitcher of
>> fresh water labeled 'pure fluids.' In the final segment, each boy and girl
>> is asked to fill a cup labeled either 'future husband' or 'future wife' with
>> the contents from one of the pitchers."

Obviously the pitchers lacked proper labels. Those labels should have read "diverse gene pool" and "inbred gene pool" in order to make the analogy apt.

I'm a little disappointed though, I wonder what "ancient American anti-intellectual impulse that Hofstadter wrote about" could have invalidated the question regarding whom valorizing what. Who was Hofstadter and what did he write about anti-intellectualism?

Percy